Saturday, September 23, 2006

No long run today....


My plan was to have a long 7 - 10 mile run today - well, it didn't happen. I had a 35 minute run in my neighborhood this evening after spending the day with my husband looking at land and running errands. Not a bad way to spend a day! I'll get back to the running Monday after class - I work a 12 hour shift tomorrow.
Drove around the New River Valley along Claytor Lake and the New River looking for a small plot of land to use as a weekend retreat. The New River is unique in that it is one of the only two rivers in the world to flow from south to north; the other being the Nile. We both want something secluded and with some sort of water access. Happened upon a beautiful little cabin along Claytor Lake - reminded me of a slightly updated version of the cabin where Thomas Rain Crowe lived while writing the journals that later became the basis of his marvelous book "Zoro's Field - My Life in the Appalachian Woods".
I'm blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the world and have experienced such Appalachian ways as cooking and heating on a woodstove, growing most all the food we put on the table and knowing (and have used) the word "stob".
Probably not quite ready to buy that cabin in the woods but my what a wonderful day....

Postscript: Finished a sweater for a coworker's grandson - ready to go to sleep now.

No comments: