Sunday, July 29, 2007

Weekend knitting

I decided I needed some kitchen accessories so I dug into my yarn stash for inspiration. I have never (intentionally) felted anything so I thought I'd try that as well. First up is a hot pad I crocheted from a skein of handspun wool/mohair a friend gifted me a while back. After felting it (two cycles in the washing machine) I embroidered random flowers and edged it with blanket stitch in a orange yarn to coordinate with my cool 70's dishes.

I enjoyed felted so that I crocheted another hot pad using some wool I purchased at the local yarn shop - the lighter color bands were originally yellow but faded after felting. Once again, I used orange to add embroidery. Next up will be matching felted oven mitts once I receive a huge statch of double pointed needled I recently purchased on ebay.Since this seemed to be a weekend of experimentation, I knitted up this washcloth using directions from smariek
- this was an opportunity to work with boobles and lots of yarnovers. Keeping track of the directions the yos needed to go kept me on my toes and it did not come out perfectly - perhaps the couple of cold ones I drank while watching my DH play in a poker tournament contributed to that???
I enjoyed knitting the first washcloth so much that I made a second, much easier one...yes, I do use these in my kitchen. I could have straigtened the edges on the pink one by blocking it but doesn't that seem a little silly for something I'll be using regularly....

Oh, isn't this the most wonderful vintage clothespin bag....




Sadly, my running has been nonexistent in this heat. I've been working a lot extra so I guess all that walking accounts for something...

No comments: